There are nine different types of licence on offer. Please study the short summaries and the chart below. Pick the licence that best suits your personal circumstances, lifestyle, age and stage. Then follow the simple directions on how to buy your licence.
Remember that overseas visitors planning to fish for more than a couple of days, must buy a Non-Resident Licence.
Full season licences (apart from Local Area) can be used anywhere in New Zealand except the Taupo area, which is administered by the Department of Conservation (DOC). For more information on the regulations for Taupo, visit DOC’s website: www.doc.govt.nz
Please note that if you buy a Local Area Licence you can only fish in the ONE region you nominated – so you must be aware of that region’s boundaries. To fish the whole country (except Taupo), you should buy a Whole Season or one of the other full season licences.
Your licence is a permit to fish for sports fish in accordance with the regulations governing the Fish and Game New Zealand region in which you are fishing. It does not grant any right of access to land. If you want to walk over private land, please first get the permission of the land occupier.
- You must have your licence with you whenever you are fishing or carrying assembled fishing gear.
- Report lost or stolen licences to your local Fish & Game office and they can issue you with a replacement.
- Back Country Licence and Controlled Fishery Licence: To fish designated backcountry rivers you must apply for a Backcountry Endorsement, available at no extra cost once you have purchased the appropriate Whole Season Licence.
Fishing Licence Costs:
The chart below has details of the nine fishing licence categories, including fees, and terms and conditions.
Whole Season Licence – $125:
Premium licence – fish anywhere in NZ (except Taupo) for one year. Valid from 1 October to 30 September. Juniors $25.
Family Licence – $163:
Fishing with the kids - for mum and dad or the grandparents. A family licence may include a couple, either the parents or grandparents, and up to 4 children or grandchildren under the age of 18 on 1 October. Valid from 1 October to 30 September.
- Local Area Licence – $100:
Perfect for those who only fish close to home – NZ residents who wish to fish one specified Fish & Game region only. Cannot be used in other regions. Valid from I October to 30 September.
- Loyal Senior Licence – $106:
For the long-time older Kiwi angler. NZ anglers over 65 who’ve held a full season licence for the last five consecutive years or more. Valid from 1 October to 30 September.
- One Day Licence – $20:
A great way to try trout fishing….have a go! For beginners or those who want to fish for only a few hours. Valid for 24hrs from user-selected start time. Juniors $5.
- Short Break Licence – $45:
Ideal for a getaway holiday or novices – NZ anglers who wants to fish three consecutive days or long weekend. User selects start time.
- Long Break Licence – $88:
For holidaymakers or others who plan to fish harder – NZ anglers who want to fish for nine consecutive days (Eg. Two weekends plus days in between). User selects start time.
- Winter Licence – $75:
For those who fish over the colder months, the second half of the season, from 1 April to 30 September.
- Non-Residents Licence – $163:
Welcome to the best fishing in the world. Non-resident means a person who is neither an NZ citizen nor permanent resident (as defined in section 4 of the Immigration Act 2009). For more information click here
Please click on the table above to see a larger image.
Buying Your Licence:
You can purchase your licence in several ways:
- Online: by visiting our online licence system
- By phone: Call our freephone licence number 0800 LICENCE (0800 542 362) during business hours ($5 booking fee)
- In person: Visit any Fish & Game office or regional licence agent (view your local region's pages to find address and contact details for local licence agents – fishing and outdoor stores, etc).